No Interest Loan Scheme
What is NILS®?
The No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS®) provides interest free loans for individuals or families on low income. It’s a community-based program that enables people to access fair, safe and equitable credit for the purchase of goods and services.
How does it work?
When a borrower makes a repayment to a NILS® program, funds are then available as a loan for someone else in the community. This is called “circular community credit” and is a real demonstration of the community in action.
What are the loans for?
NILS® is generally for the purchase of essential household items like a fridge, washing machine, TV, bed or clothes dryer. NILS® may also be provided to meet other essential needs like health or education costs or assistance with some car costs. NILS® is not for emergency relief, bond or rent money, living expenses or debt repayment.
Who is eligible?
• Applicants who have lived at your current address for at least 3 months
• On a pension or benefit and/or be of genuinely low income.
Gosford City NILS identifies an income as “low” when:
• The applicant receives support from Centrelink
• The applicant is the holder of a Centrelink Health Care Card
• The applicant has a Pension Card
• Have a Health Care Card/Pension Card or be on a low income (take home income of $45,000 per year for individuals and $60,000 per year for joint applicants)
• Show a capacity and willingness to repay
All NILS projects are run by local community groups, who try to provide loans to as many people as possible
How much can you borrow?
It varies, depending on your income and your capacity to make repayments, but the maximum is $1500 (or $800 for people on Newstart and Youth Allowance), to ensure we don't place anyone in financial hardship. The repayment period is usually around 12 months.
Would you like to apply for NILS?
Please press the button below to complete the online Enquiry form and submit.
Once received a NILS officer will be in contact with you.